The former naval prison, named after its distinctive shape, was originally built by architect Alexander Shtaubert in 1830. The restoration and adaptation of the building for its new function took almost two years.
The team restored the brickwork of the interior and exterior facades, as well as in the ground floor space and in the two stairwells. The stairs were restored with their original cladding of Putilov limestone, flanked by cast-iron railings. The building has gained two elegant, Art Deco-style elevators, 228 wood-framed windows featuring old-fashioned bronze handles, and 163 doors restored from original blueprints. The renovation of the shared corridors used 2,480 square meters of floor tiles, 4,348 square meters of glossy wall tiles, and 1,139 lighting fixtures. The courtyard has been studded with 40 outdoor bullet lights, custom-designed in black metal, and now features a small stage for events. The design of the common areas and all elements of the interior decoration were developed by Ludi Architects and Luba Leontieva, in collaboration with the team for the project New Holland: Cultural Urbanization.
In this new chapter of New Holland’s history, The Bottle House serves as the center of the island, bringing together some of the most exciting projects in the fields of design, fashion, gastronomy, and active recreation, all under one roof. The round courtyard now features the park’s Small Stage, with its own program of concerts, film screenings, and other events.
Among The Bottle House residents are Diana Vishneva's Context Pro ballet studio, a bookstore by Garage Museum of Contemporary Art, Israeli street-food cafe Bekitzer, Rock The Cycle cycling studio, P.Y.E optics, Japanese bistro Ronny and many others. Full list — on The Bottle House web site.