The Commandant's House is the most recent historic building on the island, and, until recently, was not included in the list of architectural monuments within the New Holland complex. Earlier, the building was home to the family of the Commandant of the island, while in the Soviet period, it served as an office for the naval administration. In 2013, the building was awarded the status of monument and renovated according to the standards set by the Committee for the State Inspection and Preservation of Historical and Cultural Monuments. It now features cast iron canopies, a metal fire escape, and a modern interior. The Commandant's House has been redesigned to meet the needs of a modern school.
The Mayak School
The Mayak (“Lighthouse”) School of Creative Industries is an educational center for children and teenagers aged 5 to 17. Based on principles of active practice and integration into the professional creative process, the education offered at Mayak enables students to explore different creative industries, allowing their own aspirations to help guide them towards selecting their future profession.
- Based on the British academic system, one of the most developed educational systems in the world, oriented towards discovering one’s potential, unique features, and personal talents.
- Employs the most innovative approaches to career guidance, based on career and training trajectories, discovery and development of talents, and personalized learning.
- Advocates for project-oriented thinking, teamwork, and accountability.
- Forges a unique community of young people who share a proactive mindset.
- Offers advanced classroom equipment to allow students to test out various technical means of realizing their creative projects. The school building is equipped with computer classes, a photo and film studio, a class for work with sound and music, a multifunctional art studio, and an animation class.
MAIN SUBJECT AREAS
Mon–Sun: 11:00 am – 9:00 pm
CHILDREN TALK SPACE FOR CHILDREN UP TO FIVE YEARS OLD
In Spring 2019 the Children Talk space for kids aged up to five years opened on the first floor of the Commandant's House. Children attending will have the opportunity to interact and socialise with each other and with professional educators, to acquire practical skills, read books and just relax in a comfortable environment, in a large space fully equipped with educational toys. There will also be regular classes in the following disciplines:
- musical development
- English language
- sensory development
- construction and assembly
- active games and drawing for the whole family
The playroom is open daily from 11 AM until 9 PM. No advance booking is necessary unless you wish to attend the classes, in which case please call +7 (812) 900 70 25. For more detailed information, timings and pricing, please visit the Children Talk website.
Mon–Sun: 11:00 am – 9:00 pm